Coronavirus Diary: life in Athens in times of (another) crisis, Day 16


As of 6pm, local time, Athens:
 
# of confirmed cases: 743 (48 new cases since yesterday)
# of deaths: 20
# of people in hospital: 134


Day 16 of staying home

In today’s 6pm live press briefing Health Ministry spokesman Sotiris Tsiodras and Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Hardalias made more announcements. Some are summarized below. 

Tsiodras again stressed that the aim is to protect the population, which requires a national effort. 

He also reminded that people who are not in the high-risk categories, should remain at home if they start to show symptoms, and contact their doctor on a daily basis to check in on their progress. 

Hardalias began by reporting that the majority of the public is adhering to the ban on movement and all the measures. He thanked the public for their cooperation and urged everyone to continue to follow any and all new rules. 

From March 26 – April 25, supermarkets will be open according to this schedule: Monday thru Friday, 7am to 9pm. Saturday 7am to 8pm. Sundays closed. 

A total of 263 Greeks returning from Spain, including many students, have been put under quarantine at an Athens hotel. All 263 were tested and 21 were found positive. 

Hardalias reminded everyone that there are no exemptions to the measures, and no one is above the rules.

***

That moment in the morning when I wake up, rubbing my bleary eyes, bits of dream still replaying in my head. Stretch. It’s another day… Is it Tuesday, Wednesday? My eyes look towards the balcony door… Is it a sunny day? Those first moments when my fuzzy mind has not yet recalled anything, is still in start-up mode, it still thinks it’s just another normal day. And then, click – a switch is flipped, and I remember. Something in me freezes for a second. This is really happening. And this new reality comes flooding in, along with the sun’s early rays, as I pull the wooden shutters open. The hazy images of my dreams are replaced by words flashing across a screen. 

Contagion, epidemic, crisis.

My morning coffee is again accompanied by the low whirring sound of helicopters flying by. All day, now and then, I can hear it. I watched three helicopters flying together, heading towards downtown Athens. They reached a certain point and each branched off in a different direction.

I need to go in a different direction too, I thought. And so today, I, too, went up. Perspective. It really does change everything. 

Today, I did something that I’ve never done before. I took my favorite old chair, and lugged it up to the taratsa, the roof. I’ve been living in this building for 20 years and I guess it had to take a pandemic and an order not to leave the apartment for me to figure out that the taratsa is really the best seat in the house.

It was like another universe up there. The sky! I could see the vastness of the sky, the blueness, the various shades of grey, dark and light of the clouds. The mountains… purple-hued and clear. I sat. I did nothing. I looked. A butterfly (a butterfly!) flew inches above my head. I closed my eyes. I listened. The birds chirped; the bus rolled by on the streets below. The city still hummed, even now. The slow woosh of traffic. A purring helicopter. The sun’s warmth on my face, a light breeze on my skin. The waft of something delicious coming from the air shaft which connects all of the kitchens below.  

In the distance, Mt Lykavittos. The Acropolis. For now, I can’t go for my usual walk to Pnyx Hill, opposite the Acropolis. But here I 
am, and there’s the Acropolis, I can see it, just over the rooftops. For over 2,000 years it has reigned over this ever-changing landscape. It has seen
wars, bombings, famine, occupation, crises, plagues. And it’s still here. 

Looking up into the sky, I saw two birds. One big, one smaller. They circled one another, flew close, flew apart, came together, swooped and glided. 

I closed my eyes. Everything seemed to fall away. I listened. And I heard what Athens was telling me. 




Comments