Coronavirus Diary: life in Athens in times of (another) crisis, Day 10


Day 10 of staying home

# of confirmed cases: 418 (31 new cases since yesterday)
# of deaths: 5
# of people tested: over 6,000
# of people in hospital: 79

***



In today’s 6pm live press briefing Health Ministry spokesman Sotiris Tsiodras and Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Hardalias made more announcements. Some are summarized below:


  • Tsiodras reiterated that the strategy is to test only those who are showing symptoms and are in high-risk categories.

  • Hardalias announced that as of tomorrow, indoor/outdoor gatherings of more than 10 people are banned, and punishable by a fine of €1,000 per person.

  • He urges that strict rules must be adhered to and people should only go out for serious reasons such as:

buying food/necessary supplies
receiving medical care
going to work/ bank/ post office/ gas station
going to help someone in need
walking your dog
exercise/walking is ok, but 2 people max, keeping distance from each other

He also went on to thank not only the frontliners, but the unseen heroes, such as supermarket workers, delivery services, bank employees etc. He stated the best way for us to show them our gratitude is to stay home/remain indoors.

Also the finance ministry has announced measures to curb the effect of the crisis on the economy, protecting workers and businesses.

The health minister visited the Chinese Embassy to thank the Chinese Ambassador for China’s donation of 50,000 masks to Greece. The sign on the boxes read: Solidarity – Friendship - Courage



***

At my local supermarket, I always look forward to chatting with the woman behind the meat counter. Her running commentary on current events are deployed with a truthful, sometimes stinging humor. 

On Monday I ventured out to get a few things. When she saw me, she sighed, her smile tinged with a nervous look in her eyes, she said “τι κακό μας βρήκε;” (what evil has come upon us?) as she chopped her cleaver through a chunk of beef.

I rolled my eyes, shrugged my shoulders… “it will pass” was all I could think of saying, while I quickly scanned the offerings behind the glass, trying to be as brief as possible as others were waiting in line outside the supermarket. 

“Uh, I’ll take this and that, and oh that too…”  

She moved quickly, weighing and wrapping the meat. She said, “What about a leg of lamb? Get one now, put it in the freezer…”

“But it won’t even fit in my freezer. It doesn’t matter, I’ll wait until Easter to get lamb.”

κοπέλα μου, just get it now, who knows if lamb will even be available by then…” 

Another shopper approached, keeping his distance, and chimed in, “huh, oh we’ll be stuck here alright for Easter. No one’s going anywhere this year for the Easter break… We’ll be roasting lamb on our balconies – if we’re lucky…” he chuckled, eyeing the leg of lamb…

I left, without the lamb. 

Next was the deli counter. The woman there, usually pleasant, told me to step back as I approached. There was a huge, tall glass case between us already, but I stepped back even further. 

***

The woman who lives in the apartment next to mine, is a nurse at a hospital downtown… Yesterday, I sheepishly looked through the peephole in my door, the landing was empty. I put gloves on, opened my door, and wiped down my doorknob and keyhole with alcohol… I glanced at the door to their apartment, just a few steps away from my door, are they watching me? I wondered. When I went downstairs to throw the trash away, I didn’t use the elevator… Am I being paranoid? 

***

Last night I dreamt that I was in the US, visiting family and found myself in a sort of office complex or large conference center, waiting for my sister to finish work. I was impatient and wanted to leave. I was annoyed, I had no car and had to use public transportation. I found myself in the middle of an enormous transport hub, with highways crisscrossing above me like slithering snakes, in front of me, a mass of buildings and parking lots. It was daytime, but somehow it was dark where I was. I nervously scanned the area for the subway entrance and couldn’t find it. I had a feeling of dread. 

Next, I’m walking down the street in my hometown, the street where I grew up, in front of the house where we lived. I was tired from walking. My clothes were sort of raggedy, as if I had crossed a desert. I stood in front of the house, called my mother from my phone, exhausted and irritated. “Well, I’m here.” I looked at the house and construction guys were working furiously in the basement, ripping out wood and passing it outside, through the basement windows. Long chunks of blackened wood were strewn all over the grass, like guts hanging out of an open wound. “Ma, did you know there are workers here?!” I said angrily. And I kept walking, trying to get to the house where she lives, about a mile away.

I woke up, blinking into the darkness and feeling unsettled. 

***

The 10th day of staying home and I’m getting cabin fever. My morning was filled with work stuff, emails, some writing and one call after another… Friends, colleagues, relatives – mostly in Greece but also from the US. 

In my calls with the US, I realize that some Americans are just now realizing what’s coming. Some of the people I talk to are already staying home, prepared, some are not. Almost two weeks into this new reality, I see myself in their reactions. 

It seems to go in stages – first disbelief, a denial that something like this could actually happen. The one thing we take for granted, something that never crossed our minds, is that our very movements could ever be restricted. 

With each new cancellation, broken plans, trips not taken, events not attended, the reality sets in.

The next stage is an acceptance of the situation, and putting a positive spin on it. How hard can it be to stay home? Technology can keep us connected, working, communicating. Technology can entertain us. All those books we always wanted to read but never had the time… All the promises to ourselves to slow down, be more mindful, stop rushing around… Now there aren’t any more excuses. The running around has stopped, the over-scheduling is nonexistent, the I’m-too-busy justifications are no longer valid.

And suddenly we’re standing still. 

And on my 10th day of stillness, I’m almost restless. Maybe this is the next phase, the third stage. Figuring out how to move past it, figuring out how to best use this unsolicited gift of time. And thinking of it in those terms, a gift. 

Time.


Comments