Coronavirus Diary: life in Athens in times of (another) crisis, Day 20


As of 6pm, local time, Athens:
 
# of confirmed cases: 1,061 (95 new cases since yesterday)
# of deaths: 32
# of people in hospital: 69
# of people tested: 14,363


Day 20 of staying home

In today’s 6pm live press briefing Health Ministry spokesman Sotiris Tsiodras and Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Hardalias made more announcements. Some are summarized below. 

Today, Tsiodras mentioned the topic of mental health during the crisis, and that social distancing does not mean isolation. There is information on the national organization of public health’s site regarding mental health issues and his practical advice for dealing with stress and anxiety is to: ensure you are receiving valid information about developments; realize that the continual news stream/watching TV etc causes more stress; communicate with loved ones; make sure you are getting proper nutrition, rest and exercise. 

Hardalias announced that prescriptions can be obtained via www.gov.gr, and can be received via sms or email. 

He also announced that from March 29-April 15 flights to/from The Netherlands and Germany will be suspended.

He addressed the topic of repatriation and stressed that a general repatriation of all Greek citizens is not feasible, and flights have been suspended to protect public health. Greeks wishing to repatriate must have one of the following valid reasons: if an individual is in need of help and is unable to obtain it; pregnant women; people with health issues; people who have been laid off or are not receiving pay and have no where to live; passengers who are in transit and trapped at airports. 

In addition, any open-air farmer’s markets which are not adhering to measures will be shut down. 

The hospital in Kastoria will receive necessary aid, staff, doctors, nurses, supplies etc. As well as other areas in northern Greece. 

Also, approximately 10,000 volunteer applications have been received.

***

Day 20 – I type the words and I still can’t believe it. Twenty days of staying home. What’s changed since Day 1? What has stayed the same?

I think the sense of how unbelievable this is will never change. Even when the worst is over and we’re back to a semi-normal life, the unbelievable-ness of what we are all experiencing will remain with us, forever. 


Nevertheless, the reality of my new indoor life has become routine. I still wake up each morning suddenly remembering ‘this is actually happening’… then the daily routine and the new normal takes hold. There is comfort in routine – and at least for most of us, the morning ritual of making coffee and breakfast provides a kind of normalcy. 


Sitting in front of our screens, half-dressed and looking presentable from the waist-up, we behold the new world. Public spaces – parks, cafes, restaurants etc have been replaced with online public spaces. Zoom meetings, online classes, virtual museum visits, video calls. I feel like I might never wear real pants and shoes again.

I find myself re-assessing the value of certain items in the house. What is a necessity for me? What can I do without? What is considered a treat, one worth risking a quick trip outside to buy? About every 8-10 days, I walk to the supermarket, taking along my little two-wheeled shopping cart. So far I have not encountered any crazy scenes of people hoarding, empty shelves, or long lines. I plan my shopping trip strategically – I go during off-peak hours, make a list of things to buy, and in my head, I even map out the route I will take in the market –fruit section first… then the deli counter…

Somehow having a plan is comforting, but when I’m in the market, calmly going down the list, placing things in my cart, I suddenly find myself looking around irrationally, my heart beating a bit faster, my pace quickening, what else should I get? what else might we need? frozen vegetables? a fresh pineapple? do I really need parsley? why is that lady taking so long in front of the soda display?

On my last shopping trip, my ‘bonus’ items were a pack of four cans of Schweppes ginger ale and a bag of popcorn. Ginger ale is hard to find in Greece and only one supermarket in my area carries it. When I got home, I triumphantly declared, “I got ginger ale!! And popcorn!!” That night, we drank ginger ale and munched popcorn. It felt like a grand achievement. We split one can of ginger ale. One is now enough. Ice cubes clinking into empty glasses, the snap of the can opening, the fizzy sound of pouring, ice cubes crackling, the bubbles fizzling, rising up and settling down.

I savored every sip. Ahhh… Ginger ale never tasted so good. 

Here’s to Day 20 and finding new value in small things. 







Comments